The school year is in full swing and so are the year’s activities. If your loved ones life is like mine – among ball games, have fun with rehearsals, youth organizations, homework clubs and sociable engagements – it’s definitely not easy to find time to sit down to a relaxed family dinner.
Still, we realize that the busier we are, the more important it is to check on in with our kids also to preserve the routine of a family dinner (at least on most nights).
2. Make an extra-big pot of chili (or chicken noodle soup) on the weekend and freeze or refrigerate the leftovers. Pop some cornbread in the oven (an instant mix takes significantly less than 20 a few minutes to bake) and serve with a green salad.
3. The gradual cooker is your friend. Share preferred crock pot quality recipes with your buddies. The best quality recipes are those, such as for example roast potatoes and beef and veggies, where there is absolutely no cooking food before or after. In the early morning, you toss in all the ingredients. At night, you get back, open the gradual cooker and eat up. These are the only real slow cooker quality recipes I ever make really, to be honest.
4. Spaghetti! As fun to consume as it is to say. In my own family, we love Italian sausage inside our spaghetti, but we’re also quite health conscious, therefore we never use quite definitely of the sausage in any one meal. I’ll cook all the Italian sausage in a package, then divide it into 4 portions and freeze them. Then, when it’s spaghetti night, I defrost the meat, which then simmers with sautÃ©ed onions and the spaghetti sauce – and supper is done in enough time it requires the noodles to cook. Work with a green salad and garlic bread.
On a part note, the clear cup jars that the spaghetti will come in also make excellent eyeglasses for lemonade and water in the summertime. We keep a few in the freezer for cold water and lemonade. (Okay, also, chilly beer.) Classico-brand name jars are especially well-suited for this. They are just a little squarish and very elegant. Small jars, like the alfredo jars, are just the right size for smaller hands.
5. Serve healthful pizza. Pizza doesn’t have to become greasy and oozing with sauce. Have a couple of premade pizza doughs (such as for example Boboli) on hand and experiment with healthful toppings that cater to your family’s individual tastes. We want to possess Mexican Pizza, for example, layered with refried or black coffee beans, salsa then, onions, olives and a bit of cheese. It cooks in under 10 minutes. Another concept we work with a lot: purchase a simple frozen cheese pizza and let the kids pile on their own healthy toppings.
6. Sandwich night. Pick up a submarine sandwich from the deli of one’s local supermarket. Take off the tomato and lettuce and toast the sandwich under your broiler at home. Pile on a lot more lettuce then, tomato, pepperoncinis, whatever goodies you prefer. Slather on some gourmet mustard and there is a delicious almost-ready-made meal.
7. Some full days, choose healthful fast food. This phrase was previously somewhat of an oxymoron, but nowadays, fresh chains are showing up nationwide offering fresh, healthful, locally-sourced fare. From soup to pasta to burritos, you can find something that suits everyone’s tastes. It’s probably not something you should do every night, however your fast food choices are much broader than the old hamburgers and French fries now.
8. Find a few favorites from your own local gourmet shop. While this might be an expensive choice for everyday activity, it sure can be a lifesaver. Share your freezer with a few Harry & David chicken pies, for example, and the next time you have surprise guests during one of your active nights, you’ll appear to be the rock celebrity you are.